Visit Holland - The Netherlands

Map with locations for seafishing in the Netherlands

Map with locations for seafishing in the Netherlands

Sport Fishing in Fishery Zone, Coastal Waters and Sea Areas. Fishing in the Netherlands does not only take place in inland waters. Sport anglers also fish in the sea, the rules for which vary from those for inland waters.

In general, the rules for sea angling are a lot simpler. It is important to know that the Fisheries Act makes a distinction between three different sea fishing areas: 'fishery zone', 'coastal waters' and 'sea area'. Different rules apply to these areas.

Coastal Waters
Coastal waters include the Wadden Sea, the Dutch part of Dollard and Eems, the Maasmond, the Nieuwe Waterweg up to the line of the main eastern harbour of Maassluis to the green range light no. 14, the Calandkanaal and open harbours to the most seaward lying dike, the Beerkanaal with open harbours, the Zeegat van Goeree, the Brouwerhavensegat, the Oosterschelde and the Westerschelde.

NB. The sea adjoining the beaches of Noord_Holland and Zuid-Holland and above the Wadden Islands are practically always referred to as coastal waters, but according to the Fisheries Act these are not 'coastal waters'.

Sea Area
Contrary to what one might think, only a few limited areas of water are considered under the term sea area: the harbours of IJmuiden (including the inner side of jetties) with connecting channels to the Noordzeekanaal (North Sea Canal) and Uitwateringskanaal (Freeboard Canal) at Katwijk and the harbours of Scheveningen to the most seaward lying dikes.

Fishery Zone
The fishery zone refers to the North Sea along the Dutch coast which is connected to the sea area and coastal waters. In general every day language the fishery zone is what we would call 'sea'. Fishing in the fishery zone, coastal waters and the sea area with rods requires no licence.

Fishing in coastal waters is restricted to the use of (maximum) two rods. One is also free to fish with a peur (a ring of worms threaded together) or smelt tackle in coastal waters providing the fishing rights are owned by the state. If the fishing rights are owned by another party, a licence is required for the use of a peur and smelt tackle.

JavaScript must be enabled in order for you to use Google Maps.
However, it seems JavaScript is either disabled or not supported by your browser.
To view Google Maps, enable JavaScript by changing your browser options, and then try again.